The deadlines to apply for the autumn semester at most universities are in June, however, international students are strongly advised to apply as early as possible and to leave time for sorting out the details.
Submitting an Application
There are two application procedures depending on the basis of your citizenship.
- If you are a citizen of Lithuania, EU/EEA country, or have a right of permanent residence in the Republic of Lithuania or a child, grandchild and great-grandchild of the Diaspora and people of Lithuanian origin and you would like to compete for a state-funded study places, you need to complete an application form of general admission via the website of the Association of Lithuanian Higher Education Institutions LAMA BPO: http://bakalauras.lamabpo.lt/international-and-eu-students/holders-of-foreign-qualifications/. The time to do is between 1st June and 23rd July.
- If you are a citizen of non-EU and non-EEA country and you want to finance your studies independently with your own funds, you should apply directly to the selected Lithuanian university or college. As rule of thumb, admission to studies is carried out in July.
Foreign citizens planning to study in Lithuania are advised to start application procedure as early as possible. Document recognition and subject equivalence identification procedures may take up to one month or longer.
Each university is a separate institution, therefore each one has a different set of requirements and admits students through a separate application process. The requirements and admission fees vary from university to university largely depending on the chosen study programme.
Applying is easy!
First you must choose a study programme.
Once you find the study programme you want to apply to and evaluate your academic background against the prerequisites of the study programme – you must directly contact the university that provides that programme.
The university then will give up-to-date instructions on their own application process.
You must submit all documents to the selected Higher Education institution before the deadline. Don’t forget to check the deadline for your study programme as it may differ from others.
Regardless of which Lithuanian higher education institution you select, you will probably need all or some of the following documents:
- a completed application form. Each Higher Education institution has its’ own form;
- Certificate of Education (including grades), recognised by the Centre for Quality Assessment in Higher Education;
- Curriculum Vitae;
- a letter of motivation;
- a copy of your passport, certified by a Commissioner of Oaths;
- photographs (3 x 4 cm);
- a receipt proving that the application and tuition fees have been paid;
- bank statements demonstrating sufficient funds for study and living throughout the duration of your study.
Recognition of Your Education Acquired Abroad
According to the Law on Higher Education of Lithuania, Legal Recognition of the Qualification must be obtained by every person who obtained his/her education in another country and is applying to an educational institution in Lithuania.
The evaluation and recognition of foreign school-leaving certificates and higher education qualifications is carried out by the Lithuanian Centre for Quality Assessment in Higher Education (CQAHE).
You must obtain the Certificate of Education (including grades*), recognised by the Centre for Quality Assessment in Higher Education.
All international students must legalise their Education Documents before sending them to a university or college. Documents are subject to legalisation (approved by “Apostille”) if they have been issued in a state having acceded to the 1961 Hague Convention.
Applicants who have received their education in countries which did not accede to the aforementioned Convention must get double document legalisation:
- One from the Ministry of Education or the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of your home country;
- The other from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Lithuania or the Lithuanian Diplomatic Mission or Consulate in your home country (if the latter are accredited for legalisation procedure).
Legal Recognition of the Qualification must be obtained by every person who obtained his/her education in another country and is applying to an educational institution in Lithuania according to the Law on Higher Education of Lithuania.
You may need to pass preliminary examinations (if required for selected study programmes). For more detailed information please inquire at the higher education institution of your choice.
Your acceptance will be confirmed by signing of the contract for studying with the higher education institution.
Terms for Admission to Lithuanian Higher Education Institutions
Each university determines the terms for submission of application forms and other documents.