The program aims to prepare highly qualified sociologists with critical analysis, scientific and practical work skills, who are able to systematically analyze relevant societal phenomena and challenges related to gender categories established in social relations and institutes; to prepare and implement sociological research projects in accordance to the research ethics; to propose possible solutions to social problems related to gender norms on the basis of the results of sociological research; to work in a multicultural environment, to plan independently and to pursue a professional career.
Distinctive features of the program:
- The only full-fledged Master’s Degree program in Gender Studies in Lithuania and Belarus;
- The program is based on more than 20-year-old tradition in the field of gender studies of EHU;
- The program is prepared on the basis of experience of Western universities and the relevant research and pedagogical potential of European Humanities University as well as invited foreign experts;
- All courses are taught in English;
- Blended learning format, combining full-time education in Vilnius and distance learning;
- Unique teaching staff, including highly qualified and experienced specialists in the field of gender studies;
- Combination of theory and practice, research and projects’ activities focused on gender dimension;
- Emphasis on development of the research skills of students;
- The interdisciplinary approach that provides students with a solid knowledge of gender dimension in such fields as law, political sciences, etc.
- analysts at national and international research centers;
- professionals in gender studies;
- employees of governmental and non-governmental organizations;
- employees of personnel services and agencies, media agencies, educational institutions, etc.
Language of instruction
- Total number of ECTS credits: 102/90;
- 3 semesters.
- Fundamental traditions of sociological thought (introductory subject for those who don‘t have Bachelor‘s degree in Sociology) (6 ECTS);
- Social Research Methods (introductory subject for those who don‘t have Bachelor‘s degree in Sociology) (6 ECTS);
- Contemporary Social Theory (6 ECTS);
- Sociology of Gender and Sexuality (6 ECTS);
- Gender and Politics (6 ECTS);
- Quantitative Research Methods and Analysis (6 ECTS).
- Qualitative Methods in Gender Research (6 ECTS);
- Gender and Human Rights: Legal Systems and Practices (6 ECTS);
- Gender Equality in Practice (6 ECTS);
- Critical Masculinity Studies (6 ECTS);
- Gender, Media and Visual Culture (6 ECTS);
- Sociology of Emotions (6 ECTS);
- Feminism: Politics, Theory, Practice (6 ECTS).
- Gender, Science and Technologies (6 ECTS), elective subject;
- Gender at Work (6 ECTS), elective subject;
- Master‘s Thesis (27 ECTS).
- Bachelor degree diploma;
- Applicants for Master programs must prove their English proficiency at the B2 level or higher. This can be done in one of the following ways:
- Provide an Advanced Speech Test certificate. The test can be taken during the Open Doors Days at EHU or at the Propilei center in Minsk. The due dates are published here (in Russian);
- Provide TOEFL / IELTS English certificates. The points of the certificate are credited by EHU on a 10-point system based on the following scale.
- EHU Bachelor degree graduates with a final grade in English of 8 points or higher can use their grade upon admission. If the applicant is not satisfied with the assessment, he/she can take an online exam or provide a TOEFL or IELTS certificate.
- Collect all necessary documents: color photo 4×6 cm; copies of passport pages with personal data; a copy of the diploma of higher education (Bachelor’s / Specialist / Master’s diploma or an equivalent diploma); a copy of the supplement to the diploma of higher education; contact details of persons / organizations that are able to assess the scientific / professional competence of the applicant; documents (copies) confirming the level of professional and scientific competence (if applicant wants to show them); list of scientific publications (if any);
- Fill in the online application form;
- Pass the online interview.
Spring Intake Deadline