The Bachelor’s degree programme Economics and Finance is designed for students pursuing a career in private sector as specialists in finance and analysts or decision makers regarding economic questions of a firm. But it is not limited. The knowledge and skills you’ll acquire will benefit to your employment in public sector as policy makers or national and global institutions that aim to promote business and its environment.
The aim of the Program Economics and Finance is to educate students for the requirements of professional world in economics, in the context of globalization and economic integration; open minded when focusing on economics and financial topics and creatively applying tools of mathematical and statistical analysis, processing critical thinking, strengthening ability to analyze and assess the changes in economic environment.
The program is unique in terms of composition of knowledge it provides.
First of all, it gives all the necessary background in economics: micro and macroeconomics, statistics and analysis tools.
Secondly, the credits in finance that are included in the program are enough to start your career in finance. Typically finance departments in private companies required both: understanding in corporate finance and analytical abilities to evaluate economic situation of a firm, to propose possible ways for improvement.
All that is concentrated in this one study program which also includes training analytical and research skill by writing research papers. And this is done in a shortest possible time period – only 3 years. The syllabus of the program is constructed in a way that the last semester is dedicated for internship and preparation of final thesis solely. So, it gives you a unique opportunity to do an internship anywhere in the world, to use the knowledge and skill you acquire there for preparation of bachelor thesis. This also allows you to start your career earlier. There are also good career opportunities in the field in Kaunas.
The (business) economist should be able to:
- Do market analysis and give insights.
- Analyze and evaluate costs, give proposals for cost optimization.
- Calculate costs and profitability, analyze their factors, to form pricing.
- To prepare budgets and to control their implementation; to analyze deviations.
- To do economic analysis using financial indicators.
- To set indicators for activity assessment, to calculate them, to analyze.
- To evaluate the efficiency of activities, to give proposals for its increasement.
- To calculate the payback of investments.
- To apply mathematical, statistical, econometrical knowledge and methods for problem solutions.
- Ability to apply theories and knowledge of economics and finance that is sufficient for critical thinking during construction of research design and discussions with professional audience.
- Ability to apply theories of management, and marketing together with recent economic knowledge in interdisciplinary studies of economic and finance issues and discussions with various audiences.
- Ability to assess and forecast changes of economic and financial indicators of organizations, countries and multi-national regions using mathematical, statistical analysis, econometrics knowledge and methods creatively.
- Ability to plan and conduct research, to interpret and conclude the findings in the context of everyday life of organizations and entire economy by using sense thinking.
- Ability to collect and summarize primary, secondary and tertiary data relevant to solve economic, financial, social, ethical problems of organizations and countries.
- Ability to communicate in economic analysis context using English language, produce and deliver economic, financial and business information to various audiences, give their own views, participate in negotiations and work efficiently in cross-cultural environment.
- Ability to take responsibility for continuous learning and formal and informal professional development that is necessary to continue their studies and manage the career.
After graduation of the programme you will be able to work in:
- Finance departments, strategy departments, analytical units of private companies.
- policy making sector.
- strategic and analytical units in public sector, business promotion agencies, research and analysis companies.
- Or continue further education in master level in he fields of social sciences, humanities and etc.
During the first two years of your studies university provides a list of courses in the fields of social sciences, humanities, biomedical, physical, and technological sciences as well as Arts and foreign languages for students to get interdisciplinary knowledge and abilities. Curriculum combines elective and compulsory courses during the first two years of studies.
The syllabus of the program is constructed in a way that the last semester is dedicated for internship and preparation of final thesis solely. So, it gives you a unique opportunity to do an internship anywhere in the world, to use the knowledge and skill you acquire there for preparation of bachelor thesis.
- A high school diploma or equivalent degree.
- Proof of English Language: applicant has to present document proving B2 level (TOEFL 87-109 iBT/534-633 PBT, IELTS 5-6,5, Cambridge English First (FCE) 161-180, BEC Vantage 161-180, Michigan ECCE (min. 650), PTE General Level 3, TOEIC Listening & Reading 785, TOEIC Speaking & Writing 310, Duolingo 100-125, EnglishScore 400-499) if the applicant is not native speaker and/or had not received education in English.
Admission score is counted based on: Arithmetic average of high school degree diploma supplement all subjects *0.7 + Motivation letter / interview *0.3