The Biology and Genetics study programme aims to prepare high-quality, broad spectrum specialist in biology and genetics that are distinguished by creative and critical thinking, having fundamental low-based knowledge and faculties necessary for various biology and genetics related tasks. The programme focuses to provide all necessary knowledge needed to promote broad range expertise, erudition, and intellectual sense of satisfaction during studies, practice and work. The programme also seeks to confer deep interest in biology and genetics, apply it at various circumstances, and to maintain professional competencies during lifelong learning.
Feedback of lecturers and students
“Biology programme encourages students to search for innovative and original solutions to biological problems.” Prof. Algimantas Paulauskas
Graduates of the programme will be able to:
- Understand principles of immune, nervous and other systems, their structures, integration with other vital systems of biological objects;
- Work with living cells, organisms, populations. To evaluate processes taking place inside of the cell, work with cell cultures under laboratory conditions, to apply obtained results for modeling of biological systems, to evaluate intercellular interconnections, relations between single individuals and populations;
- Apply modern investigation methods, to work according principles of good laboratory practice, rules of bioethics, to collect, process, preserve and prepare research material under laboratory and field conditions;
- Apply acquired knowledge to solve emerging problems, to recognize, analyze biological problems, to plan strategies to solve these problems, to plan and carry out various measurements, process and interpret biological data, to classify and present these data;
- Analyze diversity, morphological structure, composition, nourishment, reproduction, life cycles, classification of biological objects, to characterize biological object systems, their functioning and interaction.
The programme provides graduates with several general areas:
- The field of biology is wide open, with diverse career opportunities available in health care, industry, environmental consulting, product development, forensics and governmental agencies.
- Companies related to biotechnology, biopharmaceutics and food industry;
- Research and study organizations dealing with various activities related to biotechnology, bioinformatics, biopharmaceutics, and environment preservation.
- A high school diploma or equivalent degree (Mathematics, Biology and/or Chemistry have to be included into curriculum).
- Proof of English Language: B2 level (TOEFL 87 iBT/534, IELTS 5.5 or any other document proving B2 level) if the applicant had not received education in English. After admission all students have to take English language test at the Institute of Foreign Languages at Vytautas Magnus University. If English level will be below B2 students will have to study English to reach C1 level (in first four semesters of Bachelor studies).
- Admission score is counted based on: Motivation letter*0,3 + English*0,3 + Mathematics*0,2 + Biology or Chemistry *0,2.