The Biology and Genetics study programme aims to prepare high-quality, broad spectrum specialist in biology and genetics that are distinguished by creative and critical thinking, having fundamental low-based knowledge and faculties necessary for various biology and genetics related tasks.
The role of a biologist is a popular one within the field of science – and it’s easy to see why. Specialising in the study of humans, plants and animals, along with the environments in which they inhabit, to say it’s an interesting job would be a gross understatement. Constantly learning with an inquisitive nature, biologists often hone their pursuit for information on a single field, such as biochemistry or zoology, becoming experts in a given subject area.
The international market and job trends also signal the growing demand for the kind of specialists in biology which the programme is aimed to prepare. The programme focuses to provide all necessary knowledge needed to promote broad range expertise, erudition, and intellectual sense of satisfaction during studies, practice and work. The programme also seeks to confer deep interest in biology and genetics, apply it at various circumstances, and to maintain professional competencies during lifelong learning. Constantly changing the research environment, the emerging requirements of professional development, use of the latest technologies and the communication opportunities force researchers to know the physical structure of the living world, understand the biological phenomena from perspective of laws of physics and chemistry.
Why Biology and Genetics programme?
- Comprehensive – program is devoted to excellence in teaching, learning, research and innovation, and fostering critical thinking, imaginative response as well as the desire and capacity for lifelong learning of students who will have an impact on the world, locally and globally.
- International and multilingual – one of the programs aims is for students to start developing international networks and intercultural dialogues, to participate in international scientific, academic and social projects. Program also encourages the mobility of students and lecturers.
- Kaizen – the main strength of research at VMU is our ability to respond to an increasingly globalised and competitive landscape prompting the dynamic formation of new research priorities and facilitating ongoing improvements in research performance both at a national and an international level.
- Communal – promoting dialogue and tolerance among students and lecturers. Teachers strive to make their subjects innovative, attractive to students, and, most importantly, to reflect the needs and concerns of today.
Feedback of Lecturer
Biology programme encourages students to search for innovative and original solutions to biological problems.
Prof. Algimantas Paulauskas
Professors of the field of biology and genetics collaborate with the researchers of the same field from other countries and take part in international organizations, networks, editorial boards of science journals as well as participate in international projects. All of these activities also encourage academic mobility, especially that of international conferences.
Professors are members of international and national associations and organizations; they work as experts for different institutions. They are also members of the editorial boards of international journals – Biologija (Biology), Acta Biologica Universitatis Daugavpiliensis, Food Chemistry and Technology.
- Prof. R. Daugelavičius. President of Lithuanian Biochemical Society, council member of the Faculty of Natural Sciences VMU, expert council member of Agency for Science.
- Prof.dr. A. Paulauskas is a member of Lithuanian Society of Genetics, Lithuanian Society of Biotechnology, Lithuanian Society of Ecology.
- Prof.habil.dr. A.Maruška is president of Nordic Separation Society, a member of Lithuanian Humbolthians Society.
- Prof. G.Saulis is a member of Bioelectrochemical Society, European Bioelectromagnetics Association, International Society on Pulsed Power Applications, European Federation of Biotechnology, members of Lithuanian Biophysical Society.
- Prof. habil. dr. V. Mildažienė are members of Lithuanian Biochemical Society.
Graduates of the programme are able to:
- Understand principles of immune, nervous and other systems, their structures, integration with other vital systems of biological objects.
- Work with living cells, organisms, populations. To evaluate processes taking place inside of the cell, work with cell cultures under laboratory conditions, to apply obtained results for modeling of biological systems, to evaluate intercellular interconnections, relations between single individuals and populations.
- Apply modern investigation methods, to work according principles of good laboratory practice, rules of bioethics, to collect, process, preserve and prepare research material under laboratory and field conditions.
- Apply acquired knowledge to solve emerging problems, to recognize, analyze biological problems, to plan strategies to solve these problems, to plan and carry out various measurements, process and interpret biological data, to classify and present these data.
- Analyze diversity, morphological structure, composition, nourishment, reproduction, life cycles, classification of biological objects, to characterize biological object systems, their functioning and interaction.
The bachelor programme of Biology and Genetics at VMU is designed to train the qualified specialists or managers with biological and genetics research skills who can successfully work in educational institutions, research and higher education institutions, companies of high technologies and traditional industry, research and development and manufacturing companies and other institutions, create new business companies, or continue studies in the second cycle.
The study field of biology is wide open, with diverse career opportunities available in health care, industry, environmental consulting, product development, forensics and governmental agencies. Companies related to biotechnology, biopharmaceutics and food industry; Research and study organizations dealing with various activities related to biology, genetics, biotechnology, bioinformatics, biopharmaceutics, and environment preservation.
The Programme provides graduates with several general areas and career opportunities:
- Research science positions in laboratories working in environmental quality evaluation and assessment.
- Laboratory and production technician positions in biotechnology, pharmaceutic, food, cosmetic, agriculture and biochemical industries.
- Researchers, consultants and specialists in companies related to environmental agencies, environmental control and food industry and safety, biotechnology, biopharmaceutics, health services.
- Management positions in the industry and related government institutions.
During the first two years of your studies university provides a list of courses in the fields of social sciences, humanities, biomedical, physical, and technological sciences as well as Arts and foreign languages for students to get interdisciplinary knowledge and abilities. Curriculum combines elective and compulsory courses during the first two years of studies.
- A high school diploma or equivalent degree (Mathematics, Biology and/or Chemistry have to be included into curriculum).
- Proof of English Language proficiency: aapplicant has to present document proving B2 level (TOEFL 87-109 iBT/534-633 PBT, IELTS 5-6,5, Cambridge English First (FCE) 161-180, BEC Vantage 161-180, Michigan ECCE (min. 650), PTE General Level 3, TOEIC Listening & Reading 785, TOEIC Speaking & Writing 310, Duolingo 100-125, EnglishScore 400-499) if the applicant is not native speaker and/or had not received education in English.
- Admission score is counted based on: Motivation letter*0,3 + English*0,3 + Mathematics*0,2 + Biology or Chemistry *0,2