Objective of the study programme
To prepare experts in public administration, governance and management, implementers and analysts of public policy programmes. Programme is primarily intended for those aspiring to work in various public sector organizations.
Language of instruction: Russian and/or English. Russian is used as language of instructions during face-to-face sessions and online classes. English is the language of academic literature and other sources for the courses. Upon students request the courses of the programme might be taught in English.
Location: face-to-face sessions of the programme are conducted in VMU campus in Vilnius.
The learning format of the master’s programme is a combination of face-to-face sessions in Vilnius (5 in an academic year) and online activities in the Moodle system of distance learning.
Students study 5 courses within semester. These courses are not delivered at the same time, but they are divided into parts: the first three courses are included in the first half of the semester, and the other two are delivered in the second half. Usually, a 6-credit course implies 8 weeks of online learning.
During face-to-face sessions in Vilnius students attends lectures, participate in the seminars and pass exams. During the first session in the semester, they have introductory lections and during the second/ third sessions they participate in the seminars and practical trainings, and pass exams. During the session in the middle of the semester students participate in the final classes of the courses of the first half of semester and listen to introductory lections of the courses of the second half. Similarly, sessions are held at the end of semester and at the beginning of the next one.
If a student cannot attend face-to-face session in Vilnius, she/he is provided with an opportunity of passing exams and getting all necessary study materials online.
In the periods between the sessions the study process continues in the Moodle where students participate in online classes and get online consultations from the lecturers. In the Moodle they can find all required and additional literature and receive instructions on assignments.
Feedback of lecturers and students
Public Governance and Administration program at Vytautas Magnus University offers emerging and mid-career professionals from Belarus a unique chance to receive an internationally recognized advanced degree while maintaining their home and work obligations. One of the main advantages of this program is the opportunity to be a full-time student of a leading Lithuanian university while receiving high-quality education in a blended learning environment with classes being taught in Belarusian, English, and Russian languages.
I especially appreciate the work of highly experienced professors who are always available and engaged. Considering the fact that most of them are also experts on Belarus and Eastern Europe, they become excellent guides who can help adapt best global knowledge and practices to Belarusian realities. Most importantly, they are motivated themselves to help you advance in your studies and professional development.
I highly recommend this program to anyone who is looking for ways to expand their knowledge in Public Administration and build a career in government or the nonprofit sector.
Master’s student in Public Governance and Administration at Vytautas Magnus University
Upon completion of the programme, graduates will be able to:
- Analyse and evaluate public governance process and programmes
- Understand comparative specifics of public governance and administration
- Independently plan, organize and execute various activities in public sector organizations
- Implement and assist in designing organizational reforms, implement innovations
- Conduct independent applied research on the issues of public governance and administration
After completion of this Programme graduates receive Master degree in Public Administration. They will have an opportunity to take up professional position in public administration sector, in international and national nongovernmental organizations and companies of private sector. They will also be able to perform analytical work at consultancies and think tanks or continue into PhD studies in political science or other related fields.
- Bachelor’s degree in the Humanities or Social Sciences. Degrees from other fields are acceptable in case if at least 60 ECTS are from Humanities or Social Sciences or an applicant has experience of work in public sector or nongovernmental organizations for at least 2 years.
- Proof of English Language: applicant has to present document proving B2 level (TOEFL 87-109 iBT/534-633 PBT, IELTS 5-6,5, Cambridge English First (FCE), BEC Vantage, Michigan ECCE, PTE General Level 3, TOEIC Listening & Reading 785, TOEIC Speaking & Writing 310) if the applicant is not native speaker and/or had not received education in English.
- Proof of Russian Language: applicant has to present document proving B2 level.
- Motivation letter (in English or Russian)
- Admission score is counted based on: Motivation letter*0,2 + Grade Point Average*0,5 + Grade of Final Thesis (Exam)*0,3
-The entry qualification documents are accepted in English. Often you can get a suitable transcript from your school. If this is not the case, you will need official translations along with verified copies of the original.
-Education Documents (Diploma and Transcript of Records) will need to be assessed by the accredited institution during the first semester of studies.