The program of Applied Sociology provides a combination of relevant sociological approaches and major social research techniques. The program gives the empirical understanding of substantive social problems and provides with data tools and techniques for researching them. The program is designed in line with major research interests of research in department (gender and family, health care, politics, migration, religion studies). After completion of the Applied Sociology, the master’s degree in Social Sciences is granted.
Feedback of lecturers and students
“Our main potential is based on the premise that research should serve community needs using the effective combination of sociological insight and methodological grounding. Our wish students would become effective practitioners in the field which requires complex understanding of social problems”.
Dr. Jurga Bučaitė-Vilkė, head of the programme
“Our students are encouraged to thoroughly examine and evaluate social processes and changes. This is a very challenging but promising task crucial for the betterment of our society”.
Prof. Artūras Tereškinas, teacher of the program, winner of National Science Award in 2015.
“Our students learn how individuals’ behave and interact in different size groups, starting from small tiny family groups and finishing with large groups like religious communities or organizations. My focus is to analyze how one’s position in the larger society shapes his or her life chances and daily practices”.
Dr. Milda Ališauskienė, teacher of the program, President of Lithuanian Sociological Association and a member of Executive Board of International Association for the History of Religions (IAHR).
Graduates will be able to:
- SOCIAL ISSUES. Identify social problems of social institutions – in economics, politics, family, law, education, religion, medicine (i.e., macro-level), and at the level of individual relations (i.e., micro-level).
- APPROAHCES AND METHODS. Implement research projects and perform empirical research by applying quantitative and qualitative methods of social research.
- DATA. Process research data with the data analysis software, analyze and interpret the data.
- IMPACT. Consult public, non-governmental and private organizations on human resources, organizational culture, and communication
Graduates of Applied Sociology programme will be able to work:
- social research centers, public opinion and market research institutions,
- public institutions in data processing and policies monitoring;
- science and education institutions or continue studies in PhD studies in sociology;
- advertising and public relations agencies and mass media;
- cultural institutions;
- International organizations and foundations for human development, public health, human rights, and humanitarian aid.
Graduates of Applied Sociology may continue studies in PhD studies in sociology.