The aims of the Dental Hygiene Programme are to educate and train dental hygienists based on the requirements recognized in the EU, to create possibilities for acquiring the qualification of a dental hygienist, granting the right to provide healthcare services, to foster interest in the novelties of the science and practice of oral health care, to develop creative, scientific, and critical thinking, and the sense of intellectual satisfaction from studies or work.
These aims of the Dental Hygiene Programme are directly related to the mission of the Programme – to educate and train dental hygienists who are able to provide professional oral hygiene procedures and could cooperate with other health care specialists for ensuring individual and public health.
AFTER GRADUATION YOU CAN:
- Continue your education by entering MSc programmes. Later PhD studies.
- Practice dental hygiene. Work in public or private institutions conducting oral health care or other related areas of oral health care promotion.
- Consult patients on issues of oral and dental diseasesꞌ prevention and healthy living preparing prevention programs for improving health maintenance factors.
- Work with diagnostic dental equipment, devices, instruments, and materials applying measures of infection control and methods for completing oral care procedures.
What you will learn every year:
YEAR 1 Natural Sciences, Human Anatomy, Dental Hygienist’s Professional Health, Psychology of Communication, Lithuanian Language.
YEAR 2 Physiology, Oral Health, and Personal Oral Hygiene, Ethics, Ergonomics, Phantom Course in Professional Dental Hygiene.
WHY STUDY DENTAL HYGIENE AT LSMU?
- Clinical skills are developed in phantom-head laboratories and clinics of University.
- Small groups (10 students) in clinical courses.
- Multicultural environment and student community: international students from 87 different countries make up 25 % of the total student body at LSMU.
- Possibility to spend a semester or a year abroad with the Erasmus+ or Nordplus (Nordic-Baltic Dental Hygiene-Oral Health) exchange programmes.
- Tuition fees at a good quality-to-cost ratio and reasonable living costs in Lithuania.
- Support system for student adaptation: mentoring, tutoring, and psychological counselling.