DOs and DON’Ts
Every country has its own customs and practices, some of which travel guides can’t teach you. Lithuania is no exception. So, if you don’t want to feel left out, here are a few useful tips:
- When on a date, bring an odd number of flowers. An even number is only suitable for funerals!
- When travelling by bus – always mark your ticket! The conductors are not always forgiving.
- If you receive good service – leave tips! The usual practice is to give at least 10% of the total.
- Always be on time! Lithuanians tend to value each other’s time and punctuality is encouraged.
- Don’t consume alcohol in parks, squares and other public places. It is prohibited by law!
- Don’t litter in public places. You will get fined!
- Don’t kiss a person when greeting them if you do not know them well. It is more common to shake hands in Lithuania first.
- Don’t get into a waiting taxi. If you call it by phone or online app, it will take you to your destination at a much lower rate.