The programme designed to prepare professionals capable of working in fields related to the food supply chain and to provide graduate students with an integrated set of theoretical knowledge and practical competences, enhancement of leadership skills and critical thinking ability, with the ultimate goal of preparing the graduates for international careers in research and management of agricultural and food industry organizations. Students will gain the knowledge and skills to analyse and critically assess business entities behaviour and business environment, develop and implement business plans, predict and evaluate business processes and results, analyse, evaluate, provide economic and financial justification for strategic business decisions alternatives, analyse and forecast the situation of potential markets, business organisation, initiate and innovate.
This study programme aims to achieve six types of learning outcomes:
- Knowledge creation: to demonstrate knowledge in contemporary theory and techniques of economics and business administration; demonstrate in-depth knowledge of agricultural value chains; utilize scientific research in business administration.
- Special skills: to develop ethical and socially responsible corporate culture through human resource management; evaluate investments into formation of corporate financial policy; understand the role of innovation and manage and enhance innovation process within their organization; evaluate competitive situation in their field of operation; to design management and marketing strategies for improvement of competitive position of their organisation on the global marketplace.
- Scientific research: to identify gaps in existing knowledge, products and services and need for research; design a research plan in order to address practical problems in their field of operation; apply acquired knowledge and techniques in writing scientifically sound and practically relevant thesis; effectively communicate research results.
- Social skills: to demonstrate effective communication and networking skills in modern society; organize and participate in joint decision-making process; effectively represent organisation in business negotiations.
- Personal skills: to demonstrate ethical and socially responsible leadership and management skills in the context of global marketplace, complex organisations and multinational teams; demonstrate critical thinking skills in their career development; to make use of information and communication technology in their personal development and everyday business; demonstrate initiative and responsibility in planning and decision making process.
- Attitudes: to recognize cultural diversity, its challenges and opportunities in conducting business; demonstrate understanding of ethical consequences of their business decisions; demonstrate understanding of global issues in the context of agri-food business concerning social, economic, political and environmental issues.
Graduates of study programme Agri-Food Business Management are welcomed by the private business entities and farms, public institutions forming and governing policies in agricultural and food sectors, and continue their studies on the Doctoral level. The obtained knowledge and skills will guarantee successful employment and career prospects nationally and internationally in agricultural, food industry and other fields of economic activity directly related to agriculture and processing industry, retail/wholesale or other businesses and their infrastructure companies, business consulting organizations, agricultural businesses supporting financial institutions and agencies, as well as the ability to create and develop personal business.
- 1 Semester – Tartu (Estonian University of Life Sciences)
- 2 Semester – Kaunas (Agriculture Academy of Vytautas Magnus University)
- 3 Semester – Jelgava (Latvia University of Life Sciences and Technologies)
- 4 Semester is dedicated to the master’s thesis and shall take place at the admitting University.
- University Bachelor’s degree diploma (or higher) and its supplement (Transcript of Records or the Grade Sheet);
- Priority is given to those from the fields of Business, Management, Economics;
- Additional courses might be required;
- Proof of English proficiency (CEFR – B2 or equivalent/ TOEFL 87 iBT / 534 PBT, IELTS 5.5); if the applicant had not received education in English. After admission all students will be tested for English language level at the Institute of Foreign Languages at Vytautas Magnus University. If English level will be below B2 students have to study English to reach B2 level in first two semesters of Master studies. Students have to self-fund English studies.
- Admission score counting is based on the average of final assessments of the first cycle study subjects*0.6 + Grade of the final thesis of bachelor studies*0.3 + Motivation letter*0.1.